Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Happy Birthday to me.....

Tomorrow is my birthday, and I will be 28 years old. It's funny how time flies, life happens, and expectations are either met or unmet. Do you remember those questions in deep discussions that went something like "Where do you see yourself in 3,5, & 10 years?" I remember those questions, and I remember my answers. I, too, had expectations about life and what would be my path of direction. I thought that I would for sure be married by 25, living with my husband and starting to have a family by 28, with the first of many kids by the time I turned 30. I thought that I would live in the country, work in the city, or even stay at home and be a wife and a mom. As I approach the big day tomorrow, I think of what was lost, gained, and how things turned out the way God wanted them, rather than the way I thought I should live my life. I don't regret a single thing about my life, well...there might be a few, but overall I've been pleasantly happy with the way things have happened. So, here's a list of the things that I've done with some of my years of life, and for these I am thankful.
  • Found someone I wanted to spend the rest of my life with....
  • Realized that I wasn't supposed to be with them..and thankfully made the decision prior to a wedding....
  • Explored different sides of careers with a great history to help decide the future...
  • Lived on my own in Buffalo, NY with total and complete strangers...
  • One of whom became one of my closest friends ever....
  • Worked at a wonderful agency and still keep in touch with good friends from there...
  • May eventually work my way back to that place....
  • Enjoyed singleness...and all it's advantages....
  • Missed being with someone who loved me...but knows what is important in a relationship and has set higher standards due to experiences...
  • Became the Aunt Emily I've longed to be...and what a GREAT experience it's been....
  • Learned what it meant to truly love those that are family...
  • Applied to the Peace Corps...was denied the Peace Corps...and realized there's something greater out there for me...
  • Lived being a big sister, and hopefully a good one...
  • Adopted my dog and my cat, oh whom both are my life...
  • Above all things, I've realized that God is in control, and I do have good things and multiple blessings in my life.
So, I'm turning 28 tomorrow, and I can't wait to spend 28 more years and see where I'm at when I turn 56. I hope dreams are met and new ones are dreamt.

Also, for my day, I took the day off of work and spent the day pampering myself. I had a full hour massage...and I'm still sore. I had a manicure and a pedicure...and my feet look great! It's been a great day, and it's not even my birthday yet!

Much love,
Emily

No comments: