Thursday, September 21, 2006

B L A H !

For those of you that know me, you know that I'm an avid observer. I pay attention to the little things around me, I make sure I watch and learn from others. As a child friendly person, I particularly enjoy watching the interaction of children.

I went to get my hair cut the other afternoon, which by the way is WAY short, but I'm getting adjusted to it. While I was sitting there, multiple children came in with their parents. What was interesting was watching the parenting approaches with each child. The family I will talk about appeared to be a grandmotherly type person taking care of her two grandchildren, one girl approximately 10 and a boy approximately 6. The little boy was fairly talkative, which was fine. He talked. Big deal. Apparently the grandmother didn't want him to talk while they were in the store. I felt bad for the boy. Then, he slowly but surely got up and walked over to a bottle of hair styling stuff, you know, there's a million types in those places. He was saying outloud "B L A H!" What's "Blah!" Grandma? She wouldn't answer him and told him to sit down. What made me sad, was that this was a perfect time to advocate for his learning to identify letters and spell and sound things out. But instead, the child is told to not talk and to not get up and read things in the store. WWHHHHHHHAAAAAAATTTTTTTT is that all about? Seriously, I wanted to offer him to come and read through the magazine with me...but I figured she'd go through the roof! Yikes! I wish the parents would cherish moments like these and encourage successful child education encounters. Oh well.. it's still a dream. Always a dream.

No comments: