Sunday, March 23, 2008

Remembering my grandpa

Well, I've been in a funk today. I know it's Easter, and it should be a great day. I'm a Christian, and Easter is a wonderful time and celebration of new life. However, ever since 2005, Easter just isn't the same. I can't manage to get into the spirit of things on this day. I'm hoping it will change one day, but for now, it's just so hard.

See, my grandpa Lee passed away on Easter of 2005, and I don't remember the date, but I remember the holiday. I remember the call. I had actually just broken off an engagement and a relationship and had moved in with my mom before finding my own place. I was in a sad spot already (even though it was the best decision EVER to break up, it was still hard) and wasn't in a good mood. Then the call came....and I learned that my grandpa had died that afternoon. My dad asked me if I wanted to go up to Joplin with him to see Grandpa and to talk about arrangements. Of course, I did. It was just my dad and I. It was a quiet ride...but it was good. We talked a little more on the way back...about how grandpa was in our life, our memories, etc. How grandpa would have been so proud of my decision to "get my ducks in a row" before moving on to the next step of life. I can smile to think of that, but I'm still sad today. Here are some photograph's my dad took of me and Grandpa one Christmas...I think it was in 2001...so this is 7 years ago. Actually, I remember they had just purchased the 35mm Rebel from Canon and I thought it was super cool...but then I didn't realize how much I would later be into photography. Anyhow, these are pictures of pictures, so forgive the quality...but they make me smile on this day when I've shed some tears.



 

 

 


On another note...my family all arrived back from Europe this evening. All in one piece, pieces rather. They had a great time and brought me back a nice Prada back from Italia! (It's real ya know...hee hee!) They always support me well when I take care of the animals...and it was fun, but it's soooo nice to be home. I can't wait to sleep in my own bed tonight! I took a nap on my couch today to March Madness in the background...(isn't that awesome!)

Have a wonderful week...and for my own sanity, if you do read this blog.....leave me a message. I doubt anyone reads it, but I'd love to know if you do!

Em

P.S. Tomorrow I get to be an Aunt again....hooray. Andrew Aaron will probably be here by early afternoon. Can't wait to see what he looks like! Can't wait to hold him on Thursday night!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What precious pictures of you and your Grandpa. I know that dealing with loss is hard, no matter how long ago it happened. But what a blessing to have had him in your life, and to have such wonderful memories.

I am sometimes a few days late on reading, but I am here, and I want to keep hearing about your life, so you better keep posting! :-)
Love you, honey!