Sunday, January 21, 2007

The Ashley Treatment

I'm fairly certain that most anyone who reads my blog, which I'm certain may amount to no more than maybe 3 or 4 people (at the most), know that I work in Early Intervention. Now, you ask, what is Early Intervention? Well, I could sum it up, but thanks to the internet I can just ask you to click here.

In this job, I have come across many issues that are debateable. And, if it weren't for this job, I wouldn't be who I am today, with my passion to help those kids with monsters as well as the family that is supporting them and helping them grow. Recently, there has been a huge issue with "The Ashley Treatment". I'm pretty certain where I stand, and that I don't feel anyone should be able to make decisions for someone else's child, however most people would view this as drastic measures, but I choose to support the family in their desires. Had I not had this job, I might feel a little bit differently about it all. But, when I research new diagnoses that my kids have, I come across other parents of children with monsters, and I found one mom that I really enjoy reading regularly, and I appreciate the way she can sum up her thoughts here. Feel free to read and come up with your own ideas, but just remember...the parents are often the voice of a special needs child, and if they can't speak for them, who can?

No comments: